List of Classic Celtic Girl Names
Beautiful Celtic baby girl names that may have been overlooked but not forgotten.
- Aileana, meaning a person from the green meadow.
- Cairistìne, meaning a follower of Christ.
- Calybrid, the Caly prefix was attached to various saints’ names and meant “devotee/servant of”.
- Elowen, Cornish for “elm tree”.
- Endellion, St. Endellion was daughter of the 5th-century King Brychan and goddaughter of King Arthur.
- Maidie, meaning young woman.
- Maisie, Scottish Diminutive form of Margaret meaning pearl, child of light.
- Màiri, meaning bitter (despite the meaning, a beautiful name none the less).
- Nora, the feminine form of Norman.
- Rhiannon, possibly derived from the old Celtic name Rigantona meaning “great queen”.
- Skye, for the Scottish Isle of Skye.
- Wynda, meaning narrow passage.
There are too many breathtaking names to list but here are just a few that shot to the top of our list when thinking “tradition, history”.
Scottish Girl’s Naming Convention
Small titbit of information regarding traditional naming practices in Scottish history; the first daughter is named after the mother’s mother. The second daughter is named after the father’s mother. The third daughter is named after the mother. The fourth daughter is named after the mother’s eldest sister. The fifth daughter is named after the second oldest sister or the father’s eldest sister.