When looking for the perfect name for a baby girl, many people turn to Scottish Royal female names for their selection. Steeped in history, culture and class, these Scottish royal names are both beautiful and traditional.
Listed in no specific order are the most popular Scottish royalty names for girls:
- Mary – Queen of Scotland 1542-1567
- Margaret – The Maid of Norway who died on the way to her coronation in 1283
- Isabella – The most common name for the Queens of Scotland
- Elizabeth – The second most common name for the Queens
- Joan – A very popular name for the Queens in the 15th Century
- Madeline – Has occurred several times in the royal line
- Catherine – Repeated several times through the royal line
- Anne or Ann – Occurred three times in the royal line
Some of the more unique Queen names to appear in Scottish Royal names include:
The Scottish royal family was very adamant about repeating names throughout the family. One generation of royals could have four or five Mary’s, Isabella’s or Margret’s that were all cousins.
Additionally, royal families across the region also liked to keep names within the bloodlines that were very similar to the Scottish royal names. With this in mind, many Scottish kings would marry a woman named Isabel, or Margret, both similar to the traditional Scottish names, keeping the same type of name still within the family structure.
Discover the meaning and popularity of other Scottish names on our website.