Summary of the name Shona:
- Origin: Scottish
- Meaning: Happy or Lucky
- Popularity: 665th female name in Scotland
The Name Shona
Shona is a Gaelic name for girls. It is pronounced ‘Show-naw’. The name is most often used as a form of ‘Joan’ or ‘Jane.’ However, it can also be chosen by parents looking for a unique but traditional Gaelic name for their baby girl. Eilean Shona is also an island off the west coast of Scotland. The name means ‘Sea island.’
Origin and Meaning of Shona
The name Shona means ‘happy’ or ‘lucky’ in Gaelic.
Shona was the 665th most popular name in 2012 according to Scottish Government figures.
Famous People Called Shona
Some famous people named ‘Shona’ include:
- Shona McGarty – An English actress who recently won “Best Newcomer” at the British Soap Awards.
- Shona McIssac – A politician of the British Labor Party, who was a Member of Parliament from 1997 to 2010.
- Shona Thorburn – A British-born Canadian basketball player, who now plays for the WNBA
- Shona Laing – A musician from New Zeland. She worked with Manfred Mann’s Earth Band on their Somewhere in Afrika album.
- Our comprehensive list of Scottish girls’ name.